Founded in the summer of 2017, the Advocacy Advance is an initiative headed by the Chicago Citywide Literacy Coalition. In collaboration with cross-sector partners, the provider-informed and -led initiative develops strategies aimed at improving adult education policy addressing the needs of adult learners. Our mission is to advance adult education policy through systemic and structural changes addressing the needs of adults with low literacy skills.
Advocacy Advance Retreat
August 24, 2017
- Policy- Identifies existing barriers in adult education services
- Education and Outreach- organize grassroots campaigns to support policy changes and building support through social and earned media.
Submit Testimony to the House and Senate Appropriations Subcommittees!
Both the House and Senate appropriations subcommittees accept testimony from the public.
The deadline to submit written testimony to the House appropriations committee is April 26. If you would like to submit testimony, please follow these instructions:
If you would like to submit written testimony for the record, please send your testimony to:LH.Approp@mail.house.gov with the subject line: “FY 2019 Written Testimony for the Record.” You may also submit this information via fax at 202-225-3509. All written testimony for the record must comply with the following requirements:
- Your testimony should not exceed five pages.
- Your testimony should be an attachment to your email.
- Type on standard 8.5 by 11-inch letter-size paper.
- Use double-spaced type in 12-point font with one-inch margins.
- Clearly indicate your name, title, and institutional affiliation (if any) at the top of the first page.
- Clearly state in the first paragraph the agency, program, and amount of funding involved in the request.
- Do not include color or detailed photos; however, the use of charts and tables and the use of appropriate bold type and bullets are acceptable.
Click here to view a list of House Subcommittee members.
The Senate Labor-HHS-Education appropriations subcommittee is accepting written testimony from outside witnesses submitted by June 1. Here are the instructions:
- Testimony (including any supporting material) should be a maximum of four (4) pages, on 8.5 x 11-inch paper, single sided, single-spaced, and have a 1-inch margin. Do not include a cover page. At the top of the first page, list the name of the person or organization submitting testimony. Note that it is prepared for the subcommittee on Labor and which department and/or agency the testimony is addressing.
- Delivery is by electronic submission only, as described below. Please e-mail testimony to email@example.com the subject line “FY2019 LHHS OWT.” To facilitate printing, we can only accept testimony in Microsoft Word or Word Perfect formats. DO NOT SEND PDF FILES. In the email, please include contact information (name, email, physical address, and telephone).
All materials must be received no later than close of business, June 1, 2018. This deadline will be strictly enforced.
Click here to view a list of Senate subcommittee members.